Thursday, June 03, 2010

Church Music

I had agreed to play the music for Trinity UCC in Jasper, Indiana on Sunday morning, May 30th. It was Memorial Day weekend and the organist was out of town. And her back-up and her back-up's back-up were gone as well.

So, at approximately 8:15am for the first service, I dragged the stool between the two columns of pews on cue from the preacher. I started my first song nervously as there couldn't have been a bigger contrast between me and my 6-string and the piped organ that is usually played. Or the mountain gospel I was about to sing and the Anglican hymns that are usually sung. I don't usually come to the early service, so I wouldn't know anyone besides Chris, the pastor. And the 8 am crowd was generally an older crowd. And perhaps, ‘traditionalists’.
And maybe even, ‘staunch traditionalists’.

So I strummed the first chords and looked up at the banner draped on the facing of the balcony at the back of the church. It read, "Today is a day of new beginnings."

Because I have somewhat of a 'Beautiful Mind' way of thinking and because I also believe Jung did have something in the concept of synchronicity, I relaxed and enjoyed myself.

During the 'Joys and Concerns' part of the service, where church members air either, I was counted a "Joy" by someone I had never met.

But you can never be sure. 'Cause in church, whaddatheygonnado? Boo?

The second service was the same as the first except that my sister was visiting my dying grandmother and joined me for the 'Special Music' song, 'Just a Closer Walk'. She sings beautifully. It was dedicated to my grandmother, who died about 8 hours later.

It was definitely Special Music that Sunday. I hope to remember always to be grateful for these gifts.


After the second service, there were a couple of compliments and it seemed things had went well. I was pleased and also happy that I would be paid for these services. Validations as a musician/performer are few and far between these days.

But I figured that that might have been what the banner was saying, "You get to play more now."

When I contacted Chris two days later about the honorarium, he told me that the committee that decided things met and decided to not just give me an honorarium but to go ahead and hire me because they were that sure that they wanted me back. Maybe doing new and different things as well.

As I wrote the preacher in an email, I have learned to be a little geeked when doors appear. It can be a Big Door, a small door, or a temporary door.

But I have been asking for a door. And clarity to see it.

I got a banner and a sporadic job (my favorite kind).

Interesting.

No comments: