Saturday, July 22, 2006

Where the Buffalo Roam (but not too far)





While I was driving on some country road not too far outside of Birdseye, I ran into a farm with some buffalo grazing. Buffalo were so prevalent around here, that they created 'traces' which were turned into roads.

Seems odd, I always thought of buffalo living on the western plains, like the movies. I had no idea that they were wiped out in areas like this as well.

Being ten feet from this buffalo made that seem more personal.

I think I'd like to run into herds of buffalo roaming and stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad to say, I suppose they have a lot of probs w/ people cutting those fence wires after dark in a misguided attempt to "free" the last unzooed buffalo(es).

Anyway, when it comes to buffalo...I'm a firm believer in "buying American". I'll go vegan before I'll purchase any foreign water buffalo or one of those twisty-horned musk ox(es) they have on the Discovery channel.

In fact, I 'll go out on a limb and state that every last buffalo should be required to carry picture I.D. with little electronic holograms to foil forgers. ( advanced bisonic chips?... ) Well, time to hunker down ....the bleeding hearts are gonna' get their skirts blown out of shape over that suggestion.

- I'm outta'here , just another patriot

p.s.- real cute website you have here

Mark said...

Wow, a poignant post and a completely odd comment. The blog-o-sphere, a wonderful place!

When I was in West Virginia I had the pleasure of seeing a medium size heard and envisioning the time before the great railroad slaughter...